"Establishing lasting peace is the work of education." - Maria Montessori
With acceptance of the commonly shared belief that children are the key to promoting peace, it becomes the adults' responsibility to help children on this path. Both parents and teachers play a vital role in providing guidance and role modeling for children in alternative ways of thinking and acting.
Peace education is a vital and integrated part of school life. We help children develop an awareness and respect for the dignity and diversity of life in general. It extends to respecting all living things ( Cosmic Education), and to embracing our individual responsibility to care for the environment in which we live.
"It takes two to make peace." - John F. Kennedy
Peace is promoted at RPMS by:
- Teaching strategies for constructive problem solving
- Establishing a safe climate where acts of bullying are not tolerated
- Fostering a sense of community
- Being respectful to one another and individual beliefs
- Care of all living things
- Developing language which helps to express feelings and ideas
- Exposing children to the world's geographies and cultures
- Gaining a fuller understanding of the role we play in the global community
- Teaching children about the environment and how to preserve our fragile planet
- Helping children acquire age-appropriate techniques to resolve problems peacefully